There has been a shift in the force. 

J.J. Abrams is back on the wheel as he is stepping in to not only write but also direct the third installment of the latest Star Wars trilogy after Trevorrow stepped down earlier this month. 

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.

According to sources, Trevorrow exited the project after issues with the script persisted throughout development, with the director taking multiple stabs at different drafts. Eventually, he and Lucasfilm head Kathleen Kennedy’s working relationship had become unmanageable. 

In their Sept. 5 statement, Lucasfilm and Disney said, “Lucasfilm and Colin Trevorrow have mutually chosen to part ways on Star Wars: Episode IX. Colin has been a wonderful collaborator throughout the development process, but we have all come to the conclusion that our visions for the project differ. We wish Colin the best and will be sharing more information about the film soon.”

Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.

Episode IX is set to hit theaters on May 24, 2019.

Share on Pinterest

About The Author

Content Manager

Karen is a self proclaimed bookworm and entertainment junkie. Which is why you'll find her blogging about the current TV, film and music news.. that is if you can drag her away from nerding out over Marvel, book to film adaptations and current Pop culture events. Always at a concert, a premiere or geeking out at Comic Con she is a proud to call herself a Moonie and kid at heart and is the go to girl for anything an everything you want to know about on the site.